Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Virginia QSO Party - 2021

 It is that time again for the Virginia QSO Party (VaQP).

I started my route planning about a week ago with some information from fellow mobiles in Virginia to get a feel for where coverage may be lacking this year.

2m/70cm FM Antenna Check

    First, I verified my SWR (1.25:1) is still good on my Diamond antenna I have mounted to my Tundra's bed rail on my daily driver.

ToDo

    There is a whole lot of ToDo's (after 5 of 7 years being mobile for VaQP I should be ok):

  • Is my teenager going? I received the Covid vaccine, he did not and can not before VaQP
  • Route planning and hotel (^Fri/Sat nights ^)
  • Yaesu FTM-400XDR, daily driver plus APRS (on 5/8 wave Diamond antenna, 2m/70cm)
  • Yaesu FT-991A HF and adds 6m FM and 2m SSB (not too popular for VaQP) - would need ant
  • 1.25m HT (5w) on  5/8 bed rail mounted 5/8 wave antenna (the TYT 9800 still n/a, Alinco no mas)
  • Logging - [KISS] (N3FJP, Windows laptop as always)
  • HF - received great feedback from W4GO/Matt on my SS Whip/Wolf River Coil Antenna for HF
    • Move HF antenna mount from rail to direct chassis contact
    • Move will lower coil below bedrail, need short mast to raise it = better RF ground
    • Shorten 104" whip, 20/40/80m optimal (we'll see)
  • digital - I run mostly digital modes at home except when contesting or mobile (may add FT8)
  • Power layout - improve existing setup, add West Mountain Radio DC Distribution
  • Layout - The Tundra has more room inside, some interior changes to accommodate HF, laptop, etc. 
 That's all for now. Hope to work you on the bands.

No comments:

Post a Comment